02 March, 2015

Blog Post #13 Life: (Mer)sault what?!

Meursault's outlook on life is that he doesn't care much about things either way. An example of this is when Marie asks him if he wants to get married. He tells her that he doesn't care either way.  He also doesn't think much about his actions, he just does things and has a hard time explaining why afterwards. The most obvious example would be when he shoots the man on the beach. The best example of Mersault's indifference to the world is in "Part 1: Chapter 6" when he stands before the beach house contemplating whether he should go inside, which would put him in a socially awkward situation, or stay outside in the hot sun which was causing him great physical pain. He thinks to himself that it's the same either way, even though both options are different.

I think that this way of life is very useful in some ways. Meursault goes with the flow of events and doesn't think too much about his actions, before or after. He does not attempt to find rationality in his life or actions, he merely is. This would be very helpful for my own life. For example, I would never worry about how I'll have to explain to my wife why I just bought 2 bakers dozens of jeans, because I would have no reason. I just bought them because thats what I did. Very simple. Me like.

No comments:

Post a Comment